Monday, April 30, 2012

Beam Me Up, Scotty

I have said before that you'll do anything for the one you love. Unfortunately, my hubby is a trekkie and  I have watched more than my fair share of Star Trek.


We've struck a deal that we'll watch one Star Trek movie and then one movie of my choice. That deal has saved my life. At least then watching Star Trek is tolerable, knowing that next up is a Chic Flick. But that doesn't stop Mr. Firefly from quoting the series, explaining how warp core works, and collecting memorabilia.

Now, thanks to Courtney, I am the best wife ever. She emailed me last week saying she had stumbled across an event that would be perfect for Mr. Firefly. I immediately bought tickets and now we're going to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra to see Sci-Fi Spectacular! The host is none other than George Takei, one of the Star Trek characters. They are playing theme songs from all different science-fiction shows and movies. The show is tomorrow night and Mr Firefly can't be more excited. 

Of course, I couldn't just tell Mr. Firefly about the show over the phone. I wanted to let him know in a fun way. I immediately went to my craft drawer to look for some Star Trek inspired materials. My eye was drawn to the grey, red and yellow gold colours that are prevalent in Star Trek. 


Then I found a picture of a Star Ship and traced it onto the grey paper. I used the red paper for the base of the card. The yellow paper was perfect as an accent. 


I then made a pocket inside the card to put the concert description and email ticket printout. 


I put the card on his plate and he found it when he came home from work. 


I wish I had thought to have my camera out because the look on his face was priceless! I can't wait to get dressed up this concert. No, we won't be dressing up in Star Trek costumes. 
This is a great idea for any surprise or event. It makes it a fun way to tell someone exciting news. A few pieces of paper and a little imagination and you can make a fun little card for any occasion. 

Happy Crafting,
Kristin


2 comments:

  1. Haha, that is so cute. My dad loves Star Trek and I ended out watching my fair share as well :) That is such a fun idea... I love the little card. Thanks for sharing at Lines Across.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...