Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Dinner for the Hubby: Chicken Pot Pie

When you're in love, you'll do just about anything for the other person. My hubby's favourite dinner is none other than Chicken Pot Pie. Growing up I can't say I ever remember my mother making a pot pie. We had Shepherd's Pie once in a while or Cheeseburger Pie, and sometime the frozen individual pot pies. So when Mr. Firefly told me his favourite meal was Chicken Pot Pie, I had to start researching. I found that Betty Crocker had the best recipe. The pot pie always turned out to be flavourful with a thick sauce. We've been married for almost 3 years now and I have got this recipe down pat. With a few twists and changes I have made it into a simple, easy meal that will leave you wanting more.

Ingredients:
1 pkg (10 oz or more) frozen veggies of your choice
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cups (14.5 oz can) chicken broth (I like the one with garlic and herbs)
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked chicken (I love to cook my chicken on the George Foreman, but you could also just boil it)
Pastry for 9-inch Two-Crust Pie

1.  Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken and veggies.

2. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.

3. Make pastry (I cheat and buy the ready made Pillsbury Pastry). Ease into 9x9x2 pan. Pour chicken mixture in.

4. Roll remaining pastry and cut out designs. Place over chicken mixture, turn edges under and flute.

5. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.


I always know I'll have a happy and appreciative husband when I make this. I am now a big fan of it too. What are your favourite meals to cook?

Happy Cooking,
Kristin

PS: I want to show you all our new button. We've been going back and forth on design and we've finally come up with this. 

Photobucket
We would love it if you would grab one for you blog.


I linked up here:


wednesday's wowzers

5 comments:

  1. I love chicken pot pie. I also love that you have a slap chop. :)

    Perhaps I'll make this tonight... I even have all the required ingredients in my very poorly stocked kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the slap chop too. I got it for my birthday and thought it was more of a joke gift, but it's actually very handy!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Emily! We love having more followers :) I followed you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Chicken pot pie is one of my hubby's absolute favorite!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love chicken pot pie at our house! I cheat though sometimes and make it in a skillet. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...