Thursday, April 26, 2012

Stencilling a Canvas Bag

When I bought stencils for my TV stand (find that post here) on the package they showed using the stencils on a canvas bag. And so, since I was already on the hunt for a bag to bring my lunch and other stuff to work, I decided to stencil my own canvas bag.

I found my blank bag at Michaels for $7 (then used a 20% off coupon) and two bottles of fabric paint (Tulip brand).



To stencil the bag I slip in my scrap booking cutting mat in the mag to keep the surface flat, and to keep the paint from possibly leaking through to the other side. Then I taped down the stencil on the bag and used a foam brush to lightly dab the paint.


The result? Not perfect, but not too bad. I think the problem was that even though I used the mat to keep the bag flat, it didn't work 100% and so it was difficult to get the paint through the stencil and on to the bag. Maybe if I were to do this again I would iron the bag first.

Have you ever tried to stencil a fabric bag or anything else? Have you ever had less than favourable results?

Happy Crafting,
Courtney

I linked this post up here:

 loving this crazy life  Somewhat Simpleshabby creek cottage Beyond The Picket Fence The Taylor House


2 comments:

  1. What a cute way to jazz up a plain tote bag! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From boring bag to stylish tote. Love it!

    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...