Tuesday, July 3, 2012

5 Tips for No-Hassle Meals

Mr Firefly and I are always in a rush. By the time we get home from work we are tired and it's already getting late. Just knowing that I have to spend the evening doing laundry, cleaning, and trying to get some errands done does not make me want to spend extra time making dinner. Here are 5 tips for having a great meal, but not spending a lot of time making it.

1. Have a plan. Before you start you week, have a menu ready. Do all the groceries for the week ahead of time so that you don't have to spend more time going out to pick up a few things from the store.

2. Take out the meat in the morning. I know it's easy to forget, but having the meat defrosted for your meal helps cut time when it comes time to make dinner.

3. Make extra and freeze it. This is very handy for when you know you don't have a lot of time. Make a meal on a day you have a little extra time or energy and then freeze the leftovers. I like to do this with lasagne or meat loaf.
4. Keep it simple. It's fun to try new meals or it may seem more appetizing to make something complicated, but some times a simple meal can be best. I know when I first got married I tried to make all these amazing meals for my hubby. I soon found out that it is expensive to cook big meals and not necessary. It can be a great meal with just a meat, potato, and a veggie. I love to cook a chicken breast on my George Forman and top it with some BBQ sauce. Adding a potato, rice, or pasta is simple and easy.

5. Set the table. This may sound obvious, but setting the table nicely can change the mood of the whole dinner. Instead of grabbing dinner and sitting in front of the TV, take the time to set the table and light some candles. Your meal will look better and the conversation at the table will allow you time to sit down and enjoy the company of your family.

Happy Cooking,

PS: Here's where we link up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...